Portable Dog Car Stairs, 4/5-Step Folding Lightweight Pet Ramps with Metal Frame and Wide Steps, Dog Ladder with Non-Slip Surface for Couch, High Beds, Trucks, Cars and SUV, Supports up to 150 lbsView on Amazon
WeatherTech PetRamp, Folding Dog Ramp for Large Dogs to 300 Pounds, Traction Grip Ramps Universal for Car, SUV, TruckView on Amazon
- BrandBest Pet Supplies
Portable Dog Stairs for Large Dogs, Foldable Aluminum Lightweight Pet Ramps,Accordion Pet Ladder Dog Car Steps with Non-slip Surface for High Beds, Trucks, Cars and SUV, Supports 150-200 lbs,5 StepsView on Amazon
PetSafe Happy Ride Extra Long Telescoping Dog Ramp - Portable Pet Ramp - Great for Cars, Trucks and SUVs - Durable Aluminum Frame Supports up to 300 lb - Side Rails and High Traction Surface DesignView on Amazon
PetSafe Happy Ride Deluxe Telescoping Pet Ramp - 72 Inch, Portable, Lightweight, Aluminum Dog and Cat Ramp - Carrying Case AvailableView on Amazon
PetSafe Happy Ride Folding Pet Ramp, 62 Inch, Portable Lightweight Dog and Cat Ramp, Great for Cars, Trucks and SUVs - Side Rails and High Traction SurfaceView on Amazon
Pet Gear Travel Lite Ramp with supertraX Surface for Maximum Traction, 4 Models to Choose from, 42-71 in. Long, Supports 150-200 lbs, Find The Best Fit for Your Pet, Black/GreenView on Amazon
- BrandPet Gear
Pet Gear Tri-Fold Ramp 71 Inch Long Extra Wide Portable Pet Ramp for Dogs/Cats up to 200lbs, Patented Compact/Easy Fold with Safety Tether, Black/Gray, not carpeted, Extra Wide, Tri FoldView on Amazon
- BrandPet Gear
Foldable Lightweight Pet Travel Ramp with Carry Handles for Dogs Cats, Perfect for Cars, Vans, SUVs, Trucks, Automobiles - Supports Over 150lbs Includes High Traction Non-Slip Incline (Rubber Grip)View on Amazon
- BrandDowntown Pet Supply
Last update on 2022-05-17 / Affiliate links / Images, Product Titles, and Product Highlights from Amazon Product Advertising API
Have you ever thought about the best dog ramps for your furry friend? Whether he’s small or big, a puppy or an elder, jumping on and off vehicles may put undue stress on his joints, leading to pain or arthritis. Especially when our dogs become older, it’s more difficult to jump into vehicles, jump on couches, or higher areas. With the support of a dog ramp or stairs, your buddy can reach the destination safely. With so many products overwhelming you, we’ve done a research, and here’re the ramps we consider the best construction to meet most dog demands.
Best dog ramp for cars, trucks: PetSafe Happy Ride Folding Pet Ramp
Best fixed dog ramp: Namee Adjustable Pet Ramp for All Dogs and Cats
Best folding dog ramp: Pet Gear Tri-Fold Ramp
Best telescoping dog ramp: PetSafe Happy Ride Deluxe Telescoping
Best dog ramp for large dogs: Portable Dog Stairs for Large Dogs
Dog ramps come in different types, mainly based on how they are constructed.
Fixed ramps: They are constructed as permanent fixtures. They are meant for long-term use (like a free standing one), so their design is not folded up for portability or easy storage. For instance , PetSafe CozyUp Folding Pet Steps is a lovely item with an attractive price that you should try at home.
Folding ramps: With hinges in the center allowing the panels to fold together, a folding ramp offers more portability and versatility than a fixed one. Thus, this type of ramp is allowed to be stored in the vehicle, or garage. With a reasonable price, the PetSafe Happy Ride Folding Ramp may satisfy you for travelling.
Telescopic ramps: This kind of ramp has the same portability as fixed ones, with numerous panels sliding over another. Therefore, they can be extended to set up a ramp with customized length, and easily retracted for storage. Despite its expensive price in comparison with folding ones, the telescopic ramp is safer as it negates the flipping and decreases the risk of injury when setting them up. Being independently tested, the PetSafe Happy Ride Deluxe Telescoping Ramp gains the high safety and durability, with high-traction surface to avoid slipping.
Dog ramps come in various materials, including both lightweight aluminum and heavy-duty wood or plastic. Each material is suitable for your customer’s use. While an aluminum ramp is the best solution if you plan to use it on pulling it in and out of your car, a wood ramp seems to be a good choice for indoor use. Many products could be folded up and stored under a sofa or beds. Meanwhile, there’re products that are designed to be a piece of furniture blending with your home decoration.
Due to differences among ramp types, and a myriad of dog breeds, there isn’t a dog ramp that works well in all situations. Thus, you should take some factors below into consideration before making a decision to purchase one.
· Size and shape of the ramp: This factor depends on how high your vehicle is, how high your furniture is, how tall your dog is. Larger dogs need a wider pet ramp than puppies, and you should look for a minimum of 24 inches wide for medium to large pets. A ramp for small breeds should be at least 12 inches wide.
· Strength or weight limit: another important factor to consider is the amount of weight it can hold. This factor depends on the material that is used to construct the ramp. A product that is lightweight enough to easily move it, yet sturdy enough to bear the weight will be the most ideal item.
· Materials: There are 03 main materials that are often used for making ramps, namely plastic, wood, and metal. Plastic ramps are the easiest and most light-weight for moving around, but they can’t sustain much weight as well as have the risk of breaking down when the plastic becomes old and brittle. On the contrary, ramps made of metal are more durable and sturdy, which makes them heavier than plastic ones. Wooden ramps are durable too, but they are the heaviest as well as subject to weather. Thus, they are suitable to be used for indoor areas.
· Durability: Answer the question about how often the ramp is used. If you don’t use the ramp frequently, you can opt for a less expensive ramp to save money. But if you use it constantly for daily access to furniture, it makes sense financially to buy a more durable but more expensive item.
· Surface traction: Traction brings to your furry friend a sense of security when going onto the ramp. A non-slip, non-skid surface certainly gives dogs’ paws something to grip.
· Storage and portability: This is also an important factor to consider. The ramps which are used for vehicles should be easy-to-move, and as lightweight as possible. It also needs to fit into your car or truck, so a folding ramp will be perfect in this situation.
· Incline angle: Last but not least, the angle of incline should be taken into consideration when buying a ramp. There are three classifications for the slope of a dog ramp, including: easy, normal, and climber. While an easy slope between 18 and 22 degree is recommended for old dogs, dogs with long bodies/small legs/hip or leg problems, a difficult slope around 26 degree having the steepest incline should be used by healthier and younger pets to minimize their jumping. A normal slope (22-24 degree) will be ideal for those who begin to show signs of age, or have minor mobility issues.
1. Is a dog ramp better than a pet stair?
Although a dog stair works better for jumping on and off beds or furniture, it still requires much effort on your pet’s joints. On the contrary, your dog can walk the ramp easily with significantly less effort on his joint when using a dog ramp.
2. What happens to my pets without using dog ramps?
A common condition called intervertebral disc disease (IVDD) is characterized by the degeneration of discs which separate the bones of the spine. This leads to pain in your pet’s neck, back, or frequently in legs and arms. Some people think that their dogs have never had a problem jumping on and off, however, jumping over years may cause trauma to the dogs’ spines.
3. Does a ramp support large dogs effectively?
Yes, of course. It’s considered that large dogs need less stress on their spines while jumping on/ off high places. However, years of impact may lead to trauma. And like humans, the older dogs suffer from hip and bone issues, so using a dog ramp may greatly help to reduce chances of injury to them.
4. Where to buy dog ramps?
With a variety of dog ramps in the market, you can refer to our recommendation and reviews in this article. Although many pet parents do not think about dogs’ strain they put on their backs, it does happen. A pet ramp is essential, whether your pet travels a lot or just stays at home.
5. What are the best dog ramps?
It depends on your demands. A PetSafe CozyUp Bed Ramp is great if you need a pet ramp for your coach or bed. Meanwhile, if you’re looking an item to help your dog jump on your car or truck, the PetSafe Happy Ride Folding Pet Ramp should be perfect.
There are a lot of reasons why you need a dog ramp, and several kinds of ramps fit for each case. Whether you have an aging dog, a small puppy, or an old pet, a dog ramp is a great solution that helps improve their mobility, not only at home but on the go as well. A dog ramp which is extremely durable, easily folded with adjustable height options can be considered as the best dog ramp. PetSafe Happy Ride Dog Ramp and WeatherTech Pet Ramp are among the best ones for its price, safety, lightweight, and simple storage.